Solving my wallpaper dilemma.

Well, I’ve figured out the solution to my to-wallpaper-or-not-to-wallpaper inner struggle. You can read more about that here.

While browsing my daily blogs yesterday, I noticed a contest on Young House Love for a gift certificate from Royal Design Studio. With one click of my mouse, the clouds parted and I heard birds chirping and an angelic chorus singing, “Aaaaaahhhhh!”

Stencils. Duh. Of course I hadn’t thought of that. They are cheaper than wallpaper, easier to apply and get rid of, have basically the same effect and I can control how in-your-face the outcome is.

We decided we’d try stenciling the long wall in the dining room. So last night, Aaron and I scoured the Royal Design Studio website and narrowed it down to five:

We played the “least favorite” game, and as most couples do, Aaron immediately eliminated my favorite (the first one), and I immediately eliminated his favorite (the last one). We were both sort of “meh” about the blue Moroccan print in the middle, which left us with Endless Circle Lattice and Large Hollywood Squares.

We aren’t completely decided either way, but we’re leaning toward Endless Circle Lattice. Then, our next decision will be of paint color. We have four options:

1. We can stencil in white over whatever color our living/dining room walls eventually become.

2. We can stencil in a lighter color of whatever our living/dining room walls eventually become.

3. We can create an accent wall in a different color and stencil in white.

4. We can create an accent wall in a different color and stencil in whatever our living/dining room walls eventually become.

My favorite example of #3 is this room, which I love:

What are your thoughts? Have you ever tried stenciling? Are accent walls totally played out?

Any and all opinions on this matter are welcome. Please and thank you.

{top four images via Royal Design Studio}

{bottom image via here}

Advertisements

6 Responses to “Solving my wallpaper dilemma.”

1. 1 Michelle May 10, 2011 at 6:42 pm

I love the three in the middle, but especially the squares and option #3 as far as paint color. This accent wall idea sounds like it will look wonderful, but good luck! It sounds very time-consuming.

2. 2 Lana Hallmark May 11, 2011 at 12:38 am

Have I ever tried stenciling? YES. Remember the hearts on the nursery wall. I guess not. You were very young. And then there were about 100 walls on sets I built…..
    Stenciling is way harder than it looks, but not impossible. I recommend tone on tone rather than white on anything. Tone on tone is forgiving. White on anything has to be perfect.
    What I really recommend is a faux finish. Remember the bricks in the kitchen? Or the English garden theme in your bedroom? Not as graphic, but some are really nice. And they’re so easy, you don’t have to be married to it. You can change it every weekend.
    Frankly, if it’s just one wall, don’t give up the wallpaper idea. You could have it up in a hour, and it’s not that hard to take down one wall.
    12:37 am thoughts about wallpaper…….
    Mom

3. 3 beth May 11, 2011 at 8:14 am

Rosemary,
    I came across temporary wall paper (http://www.tempaperdesigns.com/) on Apartment Therapy when looking for ideas for our new apt in Philly. They have really cool designs and you can change it really easily when you get tired of it. I havent tried it yet, but if you want, I will keep you posted in June when we finally move in and get to paint and decorate.
    -b

4. 4 nicole b. May 11, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Great idea; I may borrow it. Thanks for the inspiration. xo.

p.s. I love your Mom’s comment! Good ideas, Mama Hallmark!

1. 1 Oh, the difference two days makes. « rosemary on the tv Trackback on June 14, 2011 at 11:19 am
  2. 2 Stencil, stencil on the wall… « rosemary on the tv Trackback on July 6, 2011 at 3:42 pm