Since moving in and taking the hall bathroom as my own, I’ve opened the medicine cabinet all of two times. And on both occasions, I immediately slammed it shut with a shudder. The rusty, peeling metal was like something out of a hospital horror movie where the corpse in the corner turns out to be alive the whole movie. ***OMG SPOILER ALERT SORRY*** And since patching drywall was one of those 30 second Quick Fixes on HGTV where a perky host yells at the camera about how YOU TOO CAN SUCCESSFULLY DO THIS AT HOME!, I felt pretty certain we could handle it.
The cabinet was set into the wall and screwed to studs with four screws (two on each side). We removed these first.
Ever the perfectionist, Aaron traced the outside of the cabinet with a razor blade to keep the paint from ripping and slipping when we yanked the cabinet out of the wall.
Then he (carefully) yanked it out of the wall.
Voila! Hole in the wall! See how the right and left edges of the hole are right at the studs? We needed to expose about half of each stud, so we would have something to nail the new piece of dry wall to.
So Aaron measured about a half inch on each side and marked a line to cut back the existing drywall and expose the stud.
He scored the line with a utility knife.
Then, he removed a strip of drywall on each side.
Which left us with a slightly larger hole and exposed studs.
We bought a 2’x2′ piece of dry wall at Lowe’s, cut it to 16 1/4″ x 18 1/4″ (our hole was 16″x 18″). We cut it a bit bigger than the hole so we could trim it down and make sure there were no gaps.
When it was a perfect fit, Aaron screwed it into the exposed studs.
Then we spackled, sanded, spackled, sanded, etc. until the seams were smooth.
A coat of paint…This bathroom is Benjamin Moore’s Bold Blue – and I use the Aura environmentally friendly paint in semi-gloss. UNFORTCH, I had to buy a new quart and it clearly does not match the last gallon I had. But since it will be behind the mirror, I didn’t let it get me worked up. Pick your battles, people.
Sorry you gotta see that mug. No way to take good photo of a mirror without making a cameo, I guess. But there you have it! It’s bigger, it’s prettier, it’s a huge improvement. And turns out, patching drywall was surprisingly not a headache. The mirror was a $30 Target purchase. I spent $20 on paint, and Aaron spent about $5 on the drywall. Since we had the tools and spackle, this project came in at less than $60.
High five for patching drywall!